Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Esther - Upon My Honor (Part 4)

When it comes to discretion…    It’s not that I have been  "perfected" but I press on toward the mark of a higher calling.   And though we see Esther showing discretion at an early age, for most women, learning to be discreet will take some time.  I mean, how many of us at the first approach would have blurted out, “oh King live forever Haman is evil” in the same breath.   But instead, she invited King Ahasuerus to come and dine with her as she waited for a more appropriate time to seek his help.   Note that she didn’t tell him about her problem the second time that they were together either.  She did eventually get around to telling him about Haman and the wicked plan to have her people annihilated… But she showed great restraint as she waited…  I know that it wasn’t so much to her credit as it was to God, but the same could be said of you and me today.

Because of what Paul wrote to Titus in the New Testament, I know that being discreet doesn’t have to be something that we are born with, but can be something that is taught.  And I have learned that what seems to be lacking in one’s nature or intellect can be recovered by the Spirit of God.   Some natures have "this" and some bloodlines have "that" but God’s Spirit has everything.  God doesn’t consider it a lack of honor when someone seems to be missing a very “appropriate” trait but He does consider it most honorable when we acknowledge it and seek Him for help.   Esther’s prudence is definitely something to be admired but know that everyone can be helped to discern and taught to answer cautiously by learning to lean on God.
As a child, I wasn’t taught much, if anything, about discretion nor did I seem to inherit any.  I remember when I first noticed the trait in a girl from my sixth grade class. She and I were both chosen to represent our school for a Social Studies fair.  We decided that she should be the spokesperson for our project.  She knew exactly what to say and exactly what not to say to the judges and then later, as she explained the results to our sixth grade teacher (cautiously leaving some details OUT).  As I watched her, I knew that she had something that I lacked, and even as a child, I knew that it was something that I needed.

No matter where you sit, it’s very easy to get aggravated with people who seem to be ignorant or lack discretion.  I have sat in both places… getting on other’s nerves and other’s getting on mine!    I can tell you though, "God will never require us to put anything on the altar or bring anything forward that we don’t have."  He doesn’t judge us as harshly as some would have you think.  Man will require much more from our performance than God will.   He knows what we have in us and He knows what we lack.  He calls us “His” anyway.   He knows that His Spirit can make up all the difference.    So it’s not so much a woman’s discretion that is honorable… But it’s in her desire to learn to be discreet and in her humility to seek God for what she lacks.
Loving U like A Sister,

Regina